How do I connect to the eduroam wireless network with Windows 8?
The eduroam (education roaming) network is the secure, world-wide roaming wireless developed for the international research and education community. Once you're connected to eduroam, you can enjoy secure WiFi access at UC Davis, other educational institutions, and hotspots worldwide. No matter where you roam, your UC Davis security credentials are always checked back home at UC Davis. At eduroam hotspots around the world, no one but you knows your credentials so your connection is safe from hackers. For more information, please visit the eduroam service page in the IT Catalog.
The eduroam network uses 802.1x Security Certificates maintained by the Network Operations Center. For more details, please visit NOC Public Certificates.
- From the Start menu, click Desktop.
- Click the wireless icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- Select eduroam and click Connect.
- In the username field
- email@example.com (CORRECT)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (INCORRECT)
- In the password field, enter your Kerberos Passphrase
- Click OK.
- When the Windows Security Alert window appears, click Connect. The certificate is eap.noc.ucdavis.edu issued by AddTrust External CA Root.
- Select Public network, then click Close.
- If these settings do not seem to work, first change your passphrase. Your account needs to go through that process and be refreshed on all systems.
- For users on department machines/Non-uConnect Domain machines/non-Administrator accounts, your credentials stored on your machine may be different than those of your Kerberos LoginID and passphrase. Windows often stores these credentials in a manner that does not allow you to edit them. If you encounter this problem you will need to contact your department's IT personnel, Exchange administrator, or computer hardware manager for additional assistance.
What is this 'Windows Security Alert?'
The first time you connect to Eduroam on your computer, Windows 7 may not recognize the security certificate. Clicking Connect, as shown in Step 5 under Eduroam above, automatically adds the certificate and all appropriate settings.